Wednesday 31 October 2012

Knitting and Stitching Show 2012 at Alexandra Palace

This is going to be more of a photographic blog post with a few words, but I think it's worth showing those of you who couldn't make it some of the best bits.
 
Apologies if I haven't written down all the artists names - please contact me if you would like me to update a credit and I'll happily amend it.
 
These are my highlights of 2012 K&S:
 
 
An Incredible needle felted Rhino Head from the Mr X Stitch stand.
 
 
Embroidered punched car/van door from Mr X Stitch.
 


 
Incredible (I think I'm going to use that word a lot in this post!) Mr X Stitch embroidered door, front and back. His website can be found here for more information.
 


 
These Cross Stitched and mini-quilt QR codes. I'm definitely going to try something like this for upcoming Mermaids and Seagulls events.
 
 
Janet Smith, author of 'Janet Smith Can't Knit', and some of her awesome creations.
 


 
The 'Knitted Village' and some of the very clever and bonkers contributions from W.I. Grannies up and down the country (I'm not joking - some of them had tags on showing which W.I. they came from).
 






 
Me & Mumsie particularly loved the overstuffed ones. It's like they spent hours lovingly creating these miniature masterpieces, and then totally Ruined them by ham-fistedly shoving kapok into them. I suppose they got to have a cup of tea and a good natter and sung 'Jerualem', and that's what counts, Eh?
 


 
The 'Unfinishable' Project had some interesting bits too, we couldn't work out why some of the items were deemed 'unfinishable' but I suppose this lovely Festival of Britain embroidery was a pretty valid entry. I mean, if you started something in 1951 and still hadn't finished it in 2012, you probably aren't going to finish it are you?
 

 
Cute black cat applique. Look Herman, you're famous!
 

 
The project was housed in an awesome tent made from Kaffe Fassett fabric. I want a Kaffe Fassett tent.
 
For more information about the Unfinishable project click here.
 
Embroidery Artwork from Jo Smith. Her work was so impressive I wrote a blog post just about her which can be found here.
 

 
The standard of quilting was immense: I snapped some inspirational pieces but forgot to write down all the makers. Sorry.
 
This was on the Tula Pink fabric stand.
 
 One of the mill stands - Sorry I forgot which one!
 

Beautiful Kaffe fabrics from Rowan.
 
Nel Whatmore - Nel Patterns on the Rowan Stand


I think these last two might have Karavan fabrics by Valori Wells but I'm not 100% sure.
 

Newly graduated knitwear designer Charlotte Ruffell - she was on one of the Hampshire College stands, either Basingstoke or Eastleigh I think.
 
And last but not least, this Giant french dolly from another college stand.
 



The Knitting & Stitching show will be in Harrogate 22nd-25th November so you can still catch a chance to see it. The Dublin show starts tomorrow. Their website is here.
To see larger versions of each image, click on it to open a new window.

No comments:

Post a Comment